I’m thrilled to announce the launch of online art classes for kids which has been a long time coming at Engaged in Art.
I decided to fire ahead with launching this online school due to having to temporarily close down the weekly art classes in the Engaged in Art Studio as a result of the COVID-19 virus.
The free trial courses are available now and the monthly subscription will kick off on Monday 4th May 2020.
HOW OLD DOES MY CHILD HAVE TO BE?
The Courses will all be labeled with recommended ages. If you think that your child who is younger than 6 can cope with the online learning environment then please feel free to try out the 2 free classes. All children are unique and you know your child better than anyone else. Some Courses will be exclusively for children as young as 6, others will be suitable for a range of ages, some will cater for senior students at High School.
Many Courses can be done by children from Year 1 to Year 9 as I design the projects allowing flexibility for different levels of skill and maturity. Younger children will produce simpler outcomes and older children will be inspired by more advanced techniques within the same Course.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
It’s a monthly subscription (which renews automatically every 30 days until you cancel) where your child can access a continually growing collection of art and craft online Courses which can be done at home using your own art materials. You child will have access to all of the instructional videos, printable PDF work books, page templates and Courses if you’re a current paid subscriber. You can cancel at any time.
In the monthly membership subscription plan your child will be able to unlock 4 new Courses every 30 days. I’ve done this for a few reasons:
- your child doesn’t get overwhelmed
- commits to finishing the projects for a Certificate
- have their finished work displayed in the Galleries
The Courses are also available to purchase individually but this is a more expensive option.
Your child can also receive a Certificate of Completion for every Course they finish.
WHAT APPS DOES MY CHILD NEED?
The Courses are not live as I don’t think all children can work that way within a limited time frame. They may feel pressured and the work may be rushed as a result. This is not the most enjoyable experience for many children. Some children don’t cope well in a Group situation and are shy about showing their work to other children, especially if they don’t know the other children and are seeing them for the first time on a live stream so I’ve chosen not to use Zoom for these reasons.
This way, your child can do the Courses at any time of the day they wish, any day of the week as I’m sure your schedule will change all of the time. Your child can also work completely at their own pace, put in as much or as little work as time allows each week.
Having said that, I will be providing a weekly Zoom live session for each Course as a chance for children to receive feedback and to show their work to the Group if they feel comfortable doing so. It’s chance for your child to ask questions and talk about any problems they’re having etc. I can also provide students who don’t feel comfortable being exposed to a live Group, an audio critique of their work once a week.
So if you wish your child to join the weekly live Feedback sessions you will require Zoom.
WHAT DOES MY CHILD NEED TO DO THE ONLINE COURSES?
- a computer, laptop, tablet or phone with reliable internet access
- a printer to print out required handouts and templates if required to do the activity
- a quiet area to work with a desk, headphones are a good idea too
- basic art materials such as lead pencils, eraser, ruler, colour pencils, watercolours, acrylic paint, paint brushes, black sharpie pens (thick and thin), wax crayons, water jar [materials required will be listed in the description of every course]
- paper or a sketch book, visual diary etc to do the drawing activities [alternatively, the online Course workbooks can be printed out and most of the work done in those]
- if accessing the weekly live Zoom sessions your computer will need to have a camera and microphone facilities if you want your child to interact with Lesley and the small Group.
CAN I TRY THE CLASSES OUT FIRST TO SEE IF MY CHILD ENJOYS THEM?
Yes! There are 2 FREE Courses ready for your child to access right now
- Draw a zentangle-inspired hand
- Make a butterfly and butterfly card for Mother’s Day (coming up on Sunday 10 May 2020)
CLICK THE BLUE BUTTON BELOW TO VISIT THE SHINY NEW ONLINE CLASSES